Imagine this: you're browsing through an online store, eyeing that perfect item you've had your heart set on like the new iPhone 15 or a brand new Leather Couch to pass out on. In today’s world, you can bring it home today and pay later, without the hassle of upfront payments or credit checks. It's like having a financial genie granting your wishes! It’s called “Buy Now, Pay Later” or BNPL.
This new form of payment, BNPL aims to disrupt traditional credit cards, by helping customers indulge in that must-have item and spread the cost over manageable installments. So this idea has spawned some billion-dollar businesses, but is it all sunshine and rainbows?
Join us on "Things Have Changed Podcast" as we delve into the stories of how this new wave in finance is changing the way you shop online.
Here are some Companies in the space:
Afterpay - The Rebellious Trendsetter
- The trailblazer in the BNPL industry, boasting over 16 million users in 17 countries and processed over $12.7 billion in transactions in 2021
- Origin Story: Delve into the audacious tale of Afterpay's founding in 2014 by Nick Molnar and Anthony Eisen, who started the company with just two employees and transformed it into a global phenomenon with a market capitalization exceeding $37 billion.
- The Fashion Forward Movement: Explore Afterpay's success in partnering with over 86,000 global retailers, including industry giants like Sephora and Urban Outfitters, attracting millions of fashion-forward users who account for a significant portion of the company's average of 14 million monthly active users.
- Customers often leverage Afterpay to splurge on trendy clothing, shoes, and accessories, allowing them to stay on top of the latest fashion trends without breaking the bank. It's also popular for beauty and grooming products, allowing individuals to pamper themselves with skincare essentials, cosmetics, and hair care items.
- Revolutionizing the FinTech Landscape: Witness how Afterpay's unique approach to responsible spending has led to over 98% of its transactions being interest-free, providing users with a convenient and transparent payment option that challenges the conventional credit card model.
Klarna - The Quirky Scandinavian
- Klarna serves over 250,000 retailers and has amassed more than 140 million users in 45 countries and processed over $15.8 billion in transactions in 2021
- Scandinavian Influence: Discover how Klarna's Scandinavian heritage, led by CEO Sebastian Siemiatkowski, has propelled the company to process an average of 1 million transactions per day, with a transaction volume surpassing $53 billion in 2022.
- From Frustration to Innovation: Uncover the story behind Klarna's inception in 2005, when Sebastian Siemiatkowski, Niklas Adalberth, and Victor Jacobsson set out to simplify online checkouts. Today, Klarna's innovative solutions drive customer satisfaction, resulting in a net promoter score higher than the industry average.
- Customers frequently utilize Klarna for purchasing electronics, gadgets, and home appliances. Klarna also appeals to those seeking furniture and home decor items, enabling them to revamp their living spaces with ease. Additionally, Klarna's "try before you buy" feature makes it popular for trying